When I sat down to convert One Love to Windows 8.1 I decided to rework the way in which I present the selection of social networks when a user adds a new account. In the free version you can add a single personal profile each for Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. If you wanted to add LinkedIn Groups for example you would have to upgrade to the Professional version (which is an in-app purchase).
One of the nice things of the .NET Framework is that there are so many different ways to achieve the same result. I admit that it can sometimes make things a bit confusing, but in general I like the fact there are a lot of different ways to solve the same problem. I ran into this again recently when I wanted to make the data templates I use in a Windows 8 GridView more “dynamic”, i.
So you’re building an app for Windows 8.1 and you are looking for some nice icons. There are quite a number of sources for XAML icons which not only works for Windows 8.1, but also for Windows Phone 8 and other XAML platforms. 1. Segoe UI Symbol font Using the Segoe UI Symbol font is probably the easiest way to get icons that works with Windows 8.1 without too much fuss.
Submitting to the Windows Store I recently went through the process of submitting my application, One Love, to the Windows Store. I read through the certification requirements and ran my app through the Certification Kit, so I was pretty sure that there wouldn’t be any problems. Low and behold, my application was rejected. The testers referred me specifically to section 1.2 of the requirements, relating to test accounts. One Love is an application which allows you to update your status on all your social media accounts at the same time.
With the announcement of ReactiveUI 4.5 and the fact that it now works with the Xamarin products as well, I have decided to give it a try and see if it gives me better cross platform capabilities than Caliburn Micro (which has no support for the Xamarin products at all). My first task was to try and get my head around Reactive Extensions, and for that I found the website Introduction to Rx extremely useful.
As mentioned in my previous blog post I am developing a Windows Store application using Caliburn Micro (CM) in which I have the views and view models split into different assemblies. CM is largely convention based and therefore expect things is certain places. One of these conventions is the way in which CM locates views and view models. Let’s say that we have an application with a root namespace of MyApplication and our views are located in the namespace MyApplication.
I was recently dumbfounded by an apparent issue with Caliburn Micro in a Windows Store application being unable to locate the view model for a view. The symptoms was that the application navigated correctly to my view, but the data from the view model was not being displayed on the page. What complicated matters a bit more was that my views and view models were located in different assemblies and non-default namespaces, therefore I immediately suspected the problem was located there.
I have been working with Caliburn Micro (CM) for the past month, using it in a new Windows 8 application I am busy developing. CM is largely convention based but it does allow you to override and customize a lot of those conventions as well as provide other points of extensibility. The initial solution I recently had a scenario where I had a ListView displaying the a list of items.